In the last post, I gave you a great free app to get you started on augmented reality. Are you ready for the next step? This was my first big iLesson that incorporated AR and the kids LOVED it. This began as a plain old writing lesson, inspired by a picture I found on Pinterest. It morphed (as good teaching usually does) mid-lesson into an iLesson.
Students were given the task of beginning a story from this picture from Headproduct on Tumblr. I found the image on Pinterest and had saved it for a writing prompt. Students had to begin the story from the point where they saw the dragon in their hand. It had to incorporate narrative writing characteristics and had to ultimately tell the reader what happened to the dragon. Otherwise, there were no constraints to the task.
After students edited their rough draft, they published the piece in Word, with a twist. I used the washed out picture settings in Microsoft Word and loaded a lighter version of the image as the background for the written piece. Creative publishing is always an easy way to hook writers. As if that weren’t enough, I decided to have my first go with adding augmented reality to the kids’ writing.
We gave augmented reality a try using the app Aurasma. It was ridiculously easy to use! Students created a trigger image by taking a photo of their published dragon narrative. We then selected a dragon Aura from the images provided by the app. Some came up as just images, but other belched fire or flew across the screen. After saving our auras, we were done. It was just that simple. Now, using the Aurasma app, viewers could scan the students’ written work and watch it come to life. Literally!
The work I got from my students was some of the best writing I’ve seen this year. But, the best part about this entire assignment? It was finished in two days. By two days, I mean two writing classes. By finished, I mean from rough draft, to edited, to published, to augmented. Two class periods. That was it. A writing task like this easily takes us five days. Because my students couldn’t wait to add their auras, they whizzed through the assignment (and the typing) faster than they’ve ever worked. That is just another reason why technology is such a great tool. In this lesson, it served solely as the ‘hook’. It was the aspect of the project that kids most wanted to get to, so they worked hard to get there. And their work paid off! I’ve uploaded a few of my students’ finished pieces for you to try out. Feel free to load the documents and scan them with the Aurasma app. For the best results, make sure to get the entire page into the screen – Enjoy!